Saturday, February 14, 2009

Bloody Valentines

At first I didn't think I'd add personal events that go on during my day, because that seemed pretentious to me, so I'd just post stuff I wonder about or feel like sharing. But this is things I'm wondering so I'm gonna post this anyways.
So I'm not one of those hard-core Valentines Day gals. Like even when I had a boyfriend I wasn't all like hyped up about it, even when he bought me roses (ROSES!!! We were bloody fourteen years old and he got me roses! He was a traditional kinda guy. I'm not.). But today, Valentine's day, I can't help but notice that love seems to be throwing me some interesting mental curve balls.
Well first I supposed to go and meet my friend's girlfriend and hang out with them for a bit so my other friend who was supposed to be there wouldn't feel like a third wheel. Course the bloody bugger isn't home when I get there, even though I walked across town to see him while I was sugar-crashing (he will pay). But as I'm turning to go home I hear someone call me and another friend of mine who I haven't seen in forever pulls up in his car and starts talking with me. His girlfriend's in the car and I say hi all polite -like. She's really nice but she's kinda quiet and I get the vibe she doesn't like me much and I never really know what to say to her... anyways, so I'm just catching up with my friend 'cause he's outta school now and I haven't seen him in ages and we had a lot of fun last summer so I miss him. He's one of those guys who could get any girl to fall for him, 'cause he's spunky and a bit of a 'bad boy' if I may use that as an example. And he's good looking, I must admit. Like baby blue eyes and messy blonde hair kinda good looking. But he's a real sweetie too. He told me once, because he thinks look after him and his twin brother, that if I ever needed help he'd be there for me. That's the kinda friend I like having... anyways, I digress. So I'm chatting away and suddenly he's like "So guess what? *girlfriend* is pregnant."
And at first I didn't believe him, thought he was kidding, laughed a bit and asked his girlfriend. But she says "Yeah I am" and it just struck me so... surreal. So I of course ask questions, because I feel sorta excited for them at the time, like are they keeping it (which they are) and if they're going to know if it's a boy or girl or do they want it to be a surprise and whatever... but then once they leave and I walk home it just keeps boggling me more and more.
They're only a year older then I am. I don't look down on them for it or anything, in fact I admire that they're going to keep it and raise it together (that's the kind of guy my friend is, responsible and caring) but... like I said, they're only a year older then I am, barely out of school and now... they're going to have this baby to look after now. That'll be their priority. And I'm not sure how his girlfriend feels, as I really don't know her that well, but my friend... he's such a happy-go-lucky, fun loving, spunky guy, loves working with engines and doing extreme sports (can't for the life of me remember the name of the sport where you're water skiing but with the board instead... like getting tugged behind the boat... WAKE BOARDING! There we go) but he does that and snowmobiles and all kinds if stuff, and now he's going to have this baby to look after and although I can picture him being a great dad I just can't... it's so weird to imagine. Some little kid calling him daddy and him holding a baby and everything? God it seems weird. And now I can't help but think that, and I know he's gonna love this kid, but will he have to give up a lot of things he loves, will he feel miserable sometimes?
And here's the kicker: before he met this girl he had a thing for me. We almost made out once. And he asked me out and I turned him down, and so we just stayed friends and I think that works out better because as much as I like the guy (and yeah, I had a crush on him) he's not my type. I'm not saying we don't get along, but he's got a different mind set then me and I can't see us being able to have real conversations and stuff, sort of. Like it's be awkward because we're so different. But now that I think of it, I wonder, if I had of said yes, would we have lasted this long (he's been going out with his girlfriend for a year now I think)? Would his girlfriend not be pregnant now? Would I be in her shoes if I had of said yes? Like would that have happened to me? And how would I feel about it?
I dunno, I myself sometimes feel like having kids would be great when I'm older, but at the same time I don't know if I ever want to have them. And of course I feel I'm too young to be having them now. It just seems so... well it is huge. Exciting and a very dangerous feeling at the same time. I wonder how his girlfriend feels... did she have big dreams or is this okay for her to start a family now?
I wonder sometimes if I have special powers (you'll probably hear about these theories in later entries) because I seriously had a dream on Monday night about myself having a baby and aways being excited to see it after school (horrifying that I was still in school when I had the kid) and it was like she was a puppy, I played with her and then when I wanted to do something else just put her in the crib... god. Just so weird to me.
Teenage pregnancy. That's enough to spoil your Valentine's Day plans ain't it?
Oh and to end on a less distressing topic, note to self, talk to other friend (who stood me up and still will pay) re: Protection. Ha, yeah right, the guy's Christian, doesn't believe in having sex before he's married anyways. For once I feel like cheering for religion...

No comments:

Post a Comment